- Job Function: Assistant to Manager/CAO
- Salary: $40,000 - $60,000.
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 14,273
- Where: 1 Park Center Ctn , Manassas Park, VA
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: Jan 4 2019
The City of Manassas Park is accepting applications for the position of Assistant to the City Manager for Operations within the Office of City Manager. This position reports directly to the City Manager and assists in the operational coordination of City Departments in the City of Manassas Park including Police, Fire, Social Services, Community Development & Public Works, Parks & Recreation, Finance, HR, and IT. Specifically, this position will be the lead for Emergency Management for the City (with consultant support and guidance) on behalf of and with direction from the City Manager, will help the City Manager with day to day Operations Management of the City, will serve as a Management and Policy Analyst, will help the City Manager with Economic Development efforts, and will perform other duties as assigned by the City Manager including serving as the City’s FOIA Officer. The City is looking for candidates who are eager to learn and grow in this position based on their educational background and/or experience with an expectation of receiving support and mentorship from the City Manager and other City Staff and Consultants.
All positions at the City of Manassas Park require a customer service mindset, in accordance with the Customer Service related focus of the City.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
Emergency Management Coordinator
• Manages and coordinates the activation and functions of the City’s Emergency Operations Center (EOC) under the direction of the City’s Emergency Management Director (City Manager).
• Coordinates and maintains a comprehensive emergency operations plan and related annexes including response and recovery phases for a wide range of emergencies and disasters.
• Manages and maintains EOC equipment, resources, and data systems, ensuring EOC capability and readiness in an emergency activation.
• Acts as liaison and partners with key federal, state, regional, and local agencies and organizations, ensuring coordination and collaboration with all stakeholders.
• Serves as liaison for the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) to include the community in training exercises and emergency relief efforts.
• Develops, manages, and implements a variety of community-based emergency preparedness training and education programs.
• Plans, organizes, and conducts emergency preparedness presentations for citizen and neighborhood groups, businesses, and other members of the public.
• Coordinates Emergency Management departmental activities with other departments and agencies.
• Plans, designs, and executes disaster preparedness training and simulation exercises.
• Conducts an analysis of potential hazards in the community and develops corresponding action plans.
• Assists with securing grant funding for emergency preparedness programs and equipment.
• Manages reimbursement efforts to facilitate the City’s economic recovery following disasters and major emergencies.
Operations Management Support
Provides operational support to the City Manager:
• Responds to citizen inquiries, complaints, and service requests; answers questions and provides information; recommends corrective action and ensures proper follow-up; and coordinates responses via interaction with responsible Department.
• Interacts and communicates with Department Directors, staff, and with partnering agencies to respond to their inquiries and request for support and to implement directives from the City Manager.
• As directed by the City Manager, represents the City on regional and local boards or committees.
• Assists the City Manager with crafting responses to Governing Body requests for information and/or service.
Management & Policy Analyst
• Supports the City Manager and Departments in crafting, monitoring, and updating the City’s Strategic Plan.
• Supports Departments with operational data tracking and analysis (i.e. performance management data- inputs, outputs, outcomes, efficiency ratios, etc.).
• Supports the City Manager with streamlining Business Processes across departments.
• Performs research and analysis for presentations on special projects as assigned by the City Manager.
Small Business Lead
• Support the City Manager with Economic Development efforts including representing the City at the Chamber of Commerce, attending meetings with developers and businesses with the City Manager, and providing economic analysis to the City Manager (e.g. demographic data, traffic data, parcel analysis, etc.).
• Takes the lead with small business development in the City- establishing relationships with existing small businesses, supporting retention of existing businesses, supporting recruitment of new small businesses to the City, and helping with the creation and growth of new small businesses.
• Gathers data from departments to answer FOIA requests.
• Provides official City response to FOIA requests with support from the City Attorney.
• May be deemed essential at any time.
• Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
• Knowledge of the goals, principles, practices, and procedures of Municipal Operations, Public Policy, and Management & Administration.
• Strong analytical skills; ability to analyze programs, policies, and operational needs.
• Ability to learn quickly.
• Ability to work independently and to accomplish tasks and assignments.
• Ability to effectively communicate ideas clearly, both verbally and in writing. Ability to communicate verbally in a public-speaking environment.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies/departments, and the general public.
• Ability to use mathematical concepts: applications of fractions, percentages, ratios, statistics, mean averages.
• Ability to utilize a desktop/laptop computer, strong knowledge of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint), database software aptitude.
• Ability to operate a motor vehicle, phone, fax, copy machine, and scanner.
Minimum Education and Training
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college with major course work in Public Administration, Public Policy, Business Administration, Political Science, or related field with a minimum of two (2) years of public sector experience (or related private sector experience such as management consulting); or a Master’s Degree from an accredited college with major course work in Public Administration, Public Policy, Business Administration, Political Science, or related field.
• Military Service is a plus.
• Driver’s License.
The City of Manassas Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City of Manassas Park will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.
1. Requires sedentary work involving sitting, standing or walking for brief periods, and some dexterity in operating office equipment.
2. The position requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing, speaking and color perception.
3. Some tasks may require the ability to exert very moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling.
4. Performance of duties may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, hazardous materials, machinery, traffic hazards, toxic agents and/or animal/wildlife attacks.
Authorized hiring range: $40,000.00 - $60,000.00
If you are interested in becoming a member of our team, you must complete an application form and submit it to the City of Manassas Park, Human Resources Department, One Park Center Court, Manassas Park, VA 20111 or fax/email: 703-335-1405 / email@example.com
You may obtain an employment application by going to the following link: http://www.cityofmanassaspark.us/index.php/component/content/article/128...
This position will remain open until filled.
The City of Manassas Park is committed to ensuring diversity in its workplace, and candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.