- Job Function: Deputy Chief Administrative Officer
- Credential: No preference
- Salary: $150,000 - $150,000. +/- DOQ/E
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 73,500
- Where: 1 Gary K Anderson Plzn , Decatur, IL
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: May 23 2019
Deadline: Jun 24 2019
Candidates should submit résumé, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references by June 24, 2019 to www.GovHRJobs.com to the attention of Mark R. Peterson, Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #130, Northbrook, IL 60062. For additional information about the position and/or the selection process, contact Mark R. Peterson at email@example.com or at (309) 825-5091. EOE/AA
Decatur, IL (73,814) - The City of Decatur, IL is seeking an experienced, innovative and committed professional to serve as Deputy City Manager, act as chief of staff, and assist the City Manager in advancing the goals of the Mayor & Council. The Deputy City Manager exercises oversight of municipal service delivery, development of policies, improvement of administrative operations, and special projects as directed and assigned by the City Manager. The Deputy City Manager also serves as acting City Manager in the manager’s absence. The Deputy City Manager will have line authority over numerous functions and service areas, as well as frequent interaction with local, state and federal elected officials, external agencies and groups, the media, and other duties as assigned by the City Manager.
Decatur’s strong local economy is underpinned by the presence of two Fortune 50 companies, Archer Daniels Midland (ADM) and Caterpillar, who together employ over 8000 people locally. In addition, the community has a large and growing health care industry with over 3,500 employees. Decatur is located in the heart of the most productive farmland in the world, and the agriculture sector has been a huge part of Decatur’s local economy since its inception.
This is an exciting opportunity for a professional governmental executive to join a progressive organization with 438 employees, and an annual budget of $175 million.
• Master’s degree in public or business administration, or related field, along with significant professional experience serving as a city manager, assistant city manager, or senior manager of a public agency.
• Experience in planning, directing and organizing municipal divisions, departments, and programs.
• Demonstrated background in developing innovative and creative approaches to the operation of local government and to problem-solving, particularly in the areas of performance-based outcomes and economic growth.
• Thorough knowledge of municipal laws and administrative practices, local government operations, and local labor relations.
• Strong command of written and spoken English, and the ability to communicate effectively in a variety of settings and circumstances.
• Demonstrated skills in developing and writing governmental policy, researching different policy options and proposals, and evaluating policy effectiveness.
• Background in governmental fund accounting and budgeting.
• Willingness to make a long-term commitment to service in Decatur.
• Able to coach, counsel, guide and mentor key staff members, and generally establish and maintain productive and positive working relationships with city employees, external partners and the general public.
Starting salary range is $150,000+/- DOQ/E with an excellent benefit package. Residency is required within the corporate limits of the City of Decatur within one year of appointment.