- Job Function: Fire Chief
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 37,941
- Website: http://www.cityofcapegirardeau.org
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
The City of Cape Girardeau, MO is seeking applications for Fire Chief & Emergency Management Director. As a department head answering directly to the City Manager in a Manager-Council form of municipal government, the Fire Chief & Emergency Management Director is a key member of the City’s leadership team. The city is seeking an experienced and passionate leader to serve in this position. The Fire Chief & Emergency Management Director position is a very visible member of the senior management team of the City and requires well-developed leadership abilities and management skill sets that are based upon consensus building and problem-solving. He/she must be a highly motivated, self-starting, and confident individual with excellent, genuine, and trustworthy interpersonal skills. The City is seeking progressive candidates committed to excellence in delivery of Fire, EMS and Emergency Management services.
About the City
The City of Cape Girardeau’s mayor is elected at-large and six City Council members are elected from their respective wards. The City has a $70 million operating budget with 410 full-time employees, and a Standard & Poor’s National Municipal Bond rating of “A+.” Major City departments include Administration, Citizen Services, Development Services, Parks and Recreation, Police, Fire, Public Works, and Cape Girardeau Regional Airport. The Fire Department current budget is $5.5 million.
About the Fire Department
The City of Cape Girardeau Fire Department delivers Fire, Rescue, BLS/ALS first-response EMS, and Emergency Management services to an economically and ethnically diverse community of over 38,000 permanent population located on the Mississippi River/Interstate 55 corridor in southeast Missouri. As a regional destination hub, Cape’s population can swell up to 100,000 daily. The Fire Chief leads a force of 62 sworn personnel and four civilian employees, working out of four fire stations strategically located throughout the City. The department responded to 5,194 calls for service in 2018. 3,500 of the calls were EMS related and the balance covered fire and other emergency related incidents. The department provides primary ALS medical services and patient transports are supported by a countywide ALS ambulance provider. The City of Cape Girardeau Fire Department has developed into a very proficient and well-respected agency in the region and in the State of Missouri. The new Fire Chief will be expected to establish his/her own distinct leadership style and set a clear direction for the Department and its personnel to continue to build and grow into an even better organization.
The successful candidate must possess:
• A bachelor’s degree in Fire Science or related field with twelve to fifteen (12-15) years of progressively responsible experience in the fire service.
• Five (5) years of experience as a chief officer in a similarly sized city or assistant chief in a larger city is required.
• Experience working with Emergency Medical Services (current or past certification and experience as a paramedic preferred) is required as well as experience in Emergency Management Operations (the fire chief is the Emergency Management Director for the City).
• Experience working with a IAFF union local in a collective bargaining environment.
• A Master’s Degree in Fire Science, Public Administration or other related fields is preferred.
• Graduation from the National Fire Academy’s Executive Fire Officer Program and Emergency Manager and Incident Manager Certifications preferred.
The annual salary for this position is in the mid to high $80’s depending upon qualifications. The City participates in the Missouri LAGERS (Local Government Employees Retirement System). This benefit, along with “employee only” medical and dental insurance premiums are paid 100 percent by the City. A range of other health insurance options is available along with generous leave time benefits.