- Job Function: Human Resources Director
- Salary: $80,000 - $110,000. DOE
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 5,628
- Website: http://www.bayharborislands.org
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
Responsible for the overall administration, coordination and evaluation of the human resource function. Plans, implements, and evaluates employee relations and human resources policies, programs, and practices. Assists in developing goals and strategies to define the future of the Town. Work is performed under direction with considerable latitude in the use of initiative and independent judgment. Position seeks technical guidance only on unusual or complex problems or issues.
EXAMPLES OF ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
• Develops and administers various human resources plans and procedures for all personnel
• Plans, organizes and controls all activities of the department; participates in developing department goals, objectives and systems
• Analyzes, implements, and annually updates the compensation program; rewrites job descriptions as needed; conducts annual salary surveys and develops merit pool (salary budget)
• Monitors and administers the performance evaluation program; revises as necessary
• Develops, recommends, and implements personnel policies and procedures; prepares and maintains handbook on policies and procedures
• Performs benefits administration to include claims resolution, change reporting, approving invoices for payment, and annual re-evaluation of policies for cost-effectiveness
• Manages and maintains town employee records for enrollment, changes and termination of the Town’s medical, dental, life insurance, ICMA deferred compensation and retirement plans.
• Evaluates, manages and coordinates annual review and selection of the employee health, dental and life insurance plans with Town staff and insurance broker.
• Monitors workman compensation claims and coordinates with insurance carrier.
• Develops and maintains the Affirmative Action program; files applicable Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) paperwork annually; maintains other records, reports and logs to conform to EEO regulations
• Conducts recruitment efforts for all exempt, non-exempt and temporary workers; writes and places advertisements; works with supervisors to screen and interview candidates; conducts reference checks; pre-employment drug screening; background checks; extends job offers; conducts new-employee orientations
• Monitors career-path program; performs employee relations counseling; conducts exit interviews
• Establishes and maintains department records, reports and specialized correspondence.
• Attends and participates in various meetings and seminars
• Maintains organizational charts and employee directory
• Evaluates reports, decisions, and results of department initiatives in relation to established goals; recommends new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed
• Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to employers through continuing education, seminars, and review of legal update notifications to reduce legal risks and ensure regulatory compliance; partners with legal counsel as needed/required
• Ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local employment laws
• Performs other duties as required or as assigned
Bachelor’s degree in human resources or related field; supplemented by five or more years’ progressively responsible experience in human resources; or an equivalent combination of education, certification, training, and/or experience. May be required to have a valid Florida state driver’s license. May be required to have or obtain additional formal industry certification(s) based on area of assignment.
• Master’s degree in human resource management
• SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) or SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) credential
In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications listed above, an individual must be able to perform each of the established essential functions in order to perform this job successfully.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, and personnel information systems
• Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws related to human resources
• Ability to operate a computer using Microsoft Office products (Word, Outlook, and Excel), HR Management software and applicable department / organization specific software
• Ability to use critical thinking skills to arrive at solutions and suggest improvements to processes
• Ability to identify potential issues, modify processes, and resolve conflict as the need arises
• Ability to manage multiple priorities to ensure that deadlines are met
• Ability to handle confidential information with tact and discretion
• Ability to establish and maintain effective and cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
• Ability to regularly attend work and arrive punctually for designated work schedule
• Ability to pass the required background check and drug screening
Depending on functional area of assignment, tasks involve the ability to exert light physical effort usually involving some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of light weight (up to 20 pounds). May involve some climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, walking or standing. Tasks may involve extended periods of time at a keyboard or work station and extended periods of time standing and/or walking.
Tasks are regularly performed inside without exposure to adverse environmental conditions (e.g., dirt, cold, rain, fumes).
Tasks require sound and visual perception and discrimination. Tasks require oral communications ability.
How To Apply:
Please email a copy of your resume to email@example.com
Or visit our website and apply online at https://www.bayharborislands-fl.gov/job-openings