- Salary: $30 - $38. DOQ
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 27,604
- Website: http://ci.lake-jackson.tx.us
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
BASIC FUNCTION: The Public Works Superintendent plans, organizes and directs the activities of commercial and residential solid waste collection, streets, and drainage operations through subordinate foremen, as well as general maintenance activities for general government facilities.
1. Establish and administer division level annual budgets.
2. Implement policies, procedures, performance standards and priorities to reflect changes in mission and operational demands.
3. Participate in design of rates to be charged to commercial and residential customers. Work with customers and other City departments to resolve billing problems.
4. Occasionally inspect work in progress to assure conformity with goals and missions.
5. Performs employee hiring, performance appraisal, training and disciplinary activities. Counsel subordinates and take disciplinary actions on recommendations of subordinate foremen.
6. Coordinate division activities and operations with those of State and local agencies and meet with various groups, organizations and individuals relative to operations. May attend and participate in various public functions representing departmental concerns.
7. Direct and conduct feasibility and operational studies and other special projects. Develop programs to minimize costs to customers in a competitive environment and to promote the use of city provided recycling services.
8. Participate in developing long-term plans involving the capacity of the City's solid waste collection system.
9. May represent the Director of Public Works in his absence.
10. Perform other related duties as assigned.
TYPICAL DECISIONS: The incumbent must evaluate alternatives regarding methods of service delivery; determine or recommend short and long range departmental goals; and, establish performance guidelines and measures for operations and personnel.
Knowledge: Position requires working knowledge of maintenance and repair methods applicable to street and drainage operations. Must have knowledge of solid waste operations, collection, and disposal. Incumbent must have knowledge of City and departmental policies and procedures. Must have knowledge of basic OSHA safety regulations. Must have knowledge of basic safety standards including but not limited to shoring, excavation safety, lifting, confined space, and basic PPE. Position also requires knowledge of basic management, budget and supervisory techniques and theories.
Skills: Position requires effective oral, written, and electronic communication skills. Must be proficient in Microsoft word, powerpoint, and excel. Must be able to perform basic mathematical calculations.
Education: Bachelor's Degree in business, public administration, or a related field; or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Experience: Three years of increasingly responsible experience in related field, two of which should be in a supervisory capacity.
NOTE: Any work related experience resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above Minimum Qualifications is an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements.
Licenses and Certificates: Valid Texas class C driver's license.