- Job Function: Other; Non-Department Head
- Salary: $54,233 - $73,214. annually
- Position Type: Full Time
- Population: 161,719
- Where: 20 E. 6th Street, Tempe, AZ 85281
- Form of Government: Council-Manager
HOW TO APPLY
Post Date: Jan 10 2019
Please visit our website at www.tempe.gov to complete and submit the online application.
WATER CONSERVATION SPECIALIST
This recruitment is open until the position is filled or a sufficient number of applications have been reviewed to establish a qualified candidate pool.
First review of applications will occur on January 24, 2019.
Annual Salary Range:
$54,233 - $73,214
8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday
Department / Division:
Public Works/Water Utilities
The City of Tempe participates in the Arizona State Retirement System (ASRS) Defined Benefit plan with mandatory employer and employee contributions currently at 11.80%. ASRS pension plan includes a Long-Term Disability Benefit. We also offer a comprehensive benefits package including vacation, sick leave, holiday and short-term disability. Our employees have generous insurance options for medical, dental, vision and life. For more details, visit: http://www.tempe.gov/city-hall/internal-services/human-resources/benefit...
This position will perform a wide variety of duties in support of the Tempe Water Conservation Program, which assists Tempe customers in using water efficiently and consciously through customized and proven programs, education and outreach, and innovative demonstrations. The Water Conservation Program is part of the Water Resources Section of the Water Utilities Division (WUD), which is tasked with ensuring that Tempe has access to diverse and resilient water resources.
The position implements important elements of the Water Conservation Program, including but not limited to the following:
• Provide basic residential water consultations, including digital and phone customer communication and scheduling, preparing Personalized Home Water Reports, and recording data of findings into appropriate databases and spreadsheets;
• Provide comprehensive landscape water audits for summer high water users, including an evaluation of the irrigation system, irrigation controller scheduling, and the development of an estimated landscape water budget;
• Respond to citizen and water system customer inquiries, complaints, and information requests;
• Monitor the City’s Xeriscape gardens and assist with public viewing of the Xeriscape Demonstration Garden at Tempe Women’s Club Park;
• Assist with the public viewing of the Xeriscape Demonstration Garden;
• Assist Water Conservation Coordinator with administering Landscape Maintenance Contracts and applying for grants related to the Xeriscape Demonstration Garden at Tempe Women’s Club Park;
• Perform residential Water Waste Violation visits and providing written notices and follow-up inspections, as needed per case, as well as monitoring and updating open cases in the Tempe 311 ACCELA application;
• Attend and participate in outreach events and trade shows to publicize the City’s water conservation program;
• Assist with instructing and promoting Smartscape seminars;
• Assist the Coordinator with developing and presenting water conservation presentations for neighborhood groups and classrooms;
• Attend and facilitate water conservation adult education workshops;
• Send out conservation literature requests and/or coordinate interns in preparing mail outs;
• Assist with design and production of water conservation pamphlets/brochures;
• Recruit school participants in water education programs, including Abracadabra, Tempe Water Festival, and classroom presentations, especially those related to the School Turf Efficiency Rebate;
• Pulling monthly consumption for HOA-owned landscape meters to support the HOA Water Budgeting Program’s monthly alert service;
• Process residential rebate requests and authorize payments;
• Follow up on bounced rebate checks by calling the applicant and getting corrected information;
• Perform data entry of rebates and water audit data into the ACCESS database;
• Back up Water Conservation Coordinator as needed to represent the City and participate in regional and intergovernmental programs and committees on various conservation issues, including AMWUA’s conservation and policy sub-committees;
• Assist as needed with gathering, organizing, analysis, and reporting of data for internal and external audiences, including the Arizona Department of Water Resources Modified Non-Per Capita Conservation Program (MNPCCP) and other statutorily reports required for regulatory compliance.
Requires the equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree in environmental sciences, natural resource management, public administration, or a degree related to the core functions of this position.
The term “equivalent” means that directly related work experience exceeding the required work experience will substitute in equal time increments for college-level education, for example: one year of additional directly related work experience will substitute for one year of college education (30 credit hours).
Requires two years of experience in water or environmental conservation, landscape; including one year of lead responsibility or monitoring the work of contractors, interns or temporary employees.
Candidates must have the minimum amount of work experience. Years of experience are based upon a full-time work schedule (2,080 hours per year). The sum of an applicant’s full-time and/or part-time qualifying work experience must meet or exceed the stated minimum qualification. Education will not substitute for the required work experience; however, related unpaid and/or volunteer work experience may be used as qualifying work experience.
Successful completion of initial probationary period is contingent upon passing an FBI background investigation. Based on position, referred applicants may be subject to additional testing which may include pre-employment polygraph, physical and drug screening.
For the complete job description go to: https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=4389
This position is FLSA Exempt – not eligible for overtime compensation and/or compensatory time.
Employees in this position are represented by the United Arizona Employee Association (UAEA).
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: The City of Tempe is an Equal Opportunity / Reasonable Accommodation employer. The City does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, familial status, age, disability, and United States military veteran status. Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, the City will make a reasonable accommodation(s) during the recruitment & selection process. Persons with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation by contacting Human Resources at 480-350-8276. Requests should be made as early as possible to allow time to arrange the accommodation.