Gina Holt began her career in Springfield, Tennessee, as the assistant to the city manager. Now, 28 years later, she holds the top spot as the city's very first female city manager. In this episode of United Front, a special season of Local Gov Life, Holt opens up about her longstanding career in government (both private and public) and discusses what it has been like as a woman working in a male-dominated field.
Yes, at one point she was asked to retrieve a cup of coffee for her male colleagues, and no, it was never asked of her again. Here, she digs deep about why the confidence gap exists, and strongly suggests that "women need to think more postively of their strengths and just go for it, and get out there and aim high."
- How women can go about finding a mentor in the local government management profession.
- The most important strength women can bring to the profession.
- Advice for women just embarking on their first leadership role.
- The most significant barrier to female leadership.
- What's exciting Holt about the profession right now - hint: technology.
- Who she thinks are the groundbreakers in the profession.
Subscribe on iTunes or Google Play Music so you don't miss an episode!
Gina Holt, city manager, Springfield, Tennessee
- It Isn't Easy, But We Do It Anyway.
- Do Work-Life Balance Issues Keep Women Away from Local Government Leadership?
- The Confidence Gap. Is It Holding Women Back?
- Acting Courageously and with Intention: Expanding Diversity and Inclusion within the Profession.
- 5 Things You Need to Know About #GenderBalance.
- 6 Ways to Help Identify Gender and Minority Wage Gap Issues.
As you follow along with United Front, a special season of Local Gov Life, and listen to these brief stories of six women leaders in local government, join the conversation on social media. Look for the hashtag #SheLeadsGov on Twitter and use it to share stories about the groundbreaking women in local government whom you know.
Join ICMA's Erika White on the United Front podcast, a special season of Local Gov Life, as she takes you behind-the-scenes with women chief administrative officers who have been selected as their community's first female manager. Listen in for a real discussion on how they made it to the top and what advice they have for women looking to lead in the same role. Subscribe to Local Gov Life on iTunes or Google Play Music.