The annual Conference on International Exchange of Professionals in Shenzhen City, Guangdong Province, China, was the centerpiece of a professional development study tour offered by the ICMA China Center in April 2016. The China Center collaborated with the Chinese State Administration of Foreign Expert Affairs (SAFEA), which sponsored the conference and hosted participants at several events. ICMA participants had prominent speaking opportunities.
Highlights of the conference and study tour included:
- SAFEA presented ICMA with a “Best Organization Award.”
- The International Expert Organizations Project Fair in Guiyang City, Guizhou Province, provided a platform for representatives from organizations that require foreign technical assistance to identify international organizations that could provide it.
- ICMA co-hosted a Sponge City Forum, which addressed issues related to integrated water management (China has coined the term “Sponge Cities” to refer to cities that use green infrastructure and “absorb” solutions).
- The First Sino-America Land Engineering Cooperation Conference in X'ian City, Shaanxi Province, provided the venue for a brownfields conference organized by ICMA and the Shaanxi Provincial Land Engineering Construction Group, a quasi-governmental organization in charge of land reform in the province. The conference addressed issues related to contaminated land, cleanup, and land reform.
- ICMA executed two agreements to advance training and professional development in China.
- Before the Shenzhen conference, the ICMA China Center organized a professional development study tour to Shanghai Pudong Executive Academy and Wuzhen, a very successful small town with innovative Internet businesses.
- A post-conference site visit took participants to an environmental treatment demonstration project in gold mining areas in Tongguan, Guizhou Province.